Grapes 'n Grain

eating and drinking our way across nations...

Saturday, April 07, 2012

Destination # 8 - Hawaii

Aloha, friends!

I've been fortunate to have visited all of the major Hawaiian Islands, to include the big island of Hawaii, Oahu, Kauai and our most very favorite, Maui. aaaaannnddd I pretty much love them all. "Love" is not even strong enough a word. I am so fond of Hawaii, in fact, that I never even stepped foot in our neighboring tropicana, Mexico, until I was 36 and had a free ride there through my company because...umm... why go to Mexico as long is there is Haaaa-vvaaaii-iiii? Beautiful tanned people with perma-grins and hang-loose hands and oooozing the aloha spirit from every salt-licked pore of their being! Man, I frickin' love Hawaii!! It wasn't until recently that Drake and I started paying even the slightest attention to the food. and when we did? We were crazy impressed. First of all, best dim sum I've ever tasted was found in the International District of Honolulu on Oahu. Drake enjoyed herself some Spam Sushi (insert gagging noises here) on Maui. We were tipped off about the Puka Dog on Kauai after it was featured on the Food Network as one of the best kept secrets on the islands. Holy mother of a hot dog shoved vertically down into the steaming depths of the doughy capsule of a bun and then assaulted with a variety of tropical sauces and chutneys of your choice. My heart was so happy it beat in perfect rhythm with the sound of my arteries clogging... bite by blissful f_cking bite. Finally, this brings me to Kalua Pork. ummm.... mamma!!! Kauai was all about SUV'ing in the jungle, Mai Tais with extra cherries and Kalua Pork; as in Kalua pork in every form we could get it in from quesadillas to tacos to plain over white rice to how can I get this in pill form? aaahhhh... Kalua Pork.

Kalua Pork

Ingredients:
1 (5 pound) pork butt roast
1 1/2 tablespoons Hawaiian red sea salt (***note, this is not to be mistaken for regular sea salt. You can get it at various places like Trader Joes or order direct from Amazon or merchants in Hawaii).
1 tablespoon liquid smoke flavoring

Directions:
1) Pierce pork all over with a carving fork. Rub salt then liquid smoke over meat. Place roast in a slow cooker.
2) Cover, and cook on Low for 9-10 hours, turning once during cooking time.
3) Remove meat from slow cooker and shred or chunk, adding drippings as needed to moisten.

Mango Chutney
1 mango - peeled, seeded and chopped
1/4 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
1 green onion, chopped
1 fresh jalapeno chili pepper, finely chopped
2 tablespoons lime juice
1 tablespoon lemon juice

Mix all ingredients together and let it set in a chilled bowl for at least 1 hour.

We used flour tortillas as our venue for the Pork and and topped it with the delicious mango and jalapeno chutney for some Hawaiian style tacos.

Best served with White Russians.

Mahalo,

Erin Rae

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Sweet Sassy Pants said...

Best served with WHITE RUSSIANS? LMAO - best line in the blog. Also, I've been wanting to make a slow cooker, pork-type dish. I think I'll make this because it's easy. And I like easy.

4/9/12, 9:26 PM  
Blogger vbmart said...

Spam sushi is actually pretty good! I ate some and then found out what it was. Surprise! I am also looking for a good pork slow cooker recipe, so glad you posted this.

4/11/12, 8:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

free web counter
hit me again