Grapes 'n Grain

eating and drinking our way across nations...

Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Destination # 10 - North Dakota

Did you ever watch the movie Fargo with whats-her-name and bad teeth guy? Hands down one of the strangest and most awesomely fantastic movies ever made in my professional opinion. Fargo, "yaaa!" is about all anybody really needs to know about North Dakota. They have shit-tons of snow and awesome hunting hats with huge woolly ear flaps. Interestingly, they are the 19th most extensive, but the 3rd least populous and the 4th least densely populated of the 50 United States. Hmmm... I wonder why? The bison or buffalo (they are for the most part one and the same, at least in the U.S.) far outnumber the humans in both of the Dakotas. I've never seen a bison to my knowledge but I ate some of one tonight and it was mighty tasty, "YAAAA!" Please note that we did not hunt and kill this bison ourselves (I mean, hell, I can't even catch a damn fish) as I'd surely shoot my toes off if I ever handled a rifle and then I'd likely fall into hysteric fits of blubbering snotty sobs over the poor dead bison for taking its life, so despite the fact that I'd get to wear neon orange freely and proudly, let's just say that hunting is not really for me. I bought this thing ground and packaged up neatly in a grocery store, thank you very much.

Roasted Garlic Bison Meatloaf - recipe courtesy of Bisonbasics.com

INGREDIENTS

1 large bulb of garlic (roasted, see below for details)
1 1/2 tbsp olive oil
1 cup finely chopped onion
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1/2 tsp ground thyme
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley (packed)
1 medium sized carrot, coarsely grated (about 1/2 cup)
1 tsp salt
1/4 - 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
1 lb ground bison (90% lean)
1 lb ground pork (70-80% lean)
1 cup fresh bread crumbs

DIRECTIONS

Preheat oven to 350F.

Heat olive oil in a pan over medium heat. Add onion and sauté until soft, about 5 to 7 minutes. Remove from heat.

In a large bowl combine the roasted garlic paste with the eggs, thyme, parsley, carrot, salt and pepper. Add the sautéed onion. Use a large fork to work in the bison and pork meat. Sprinkle in the bread crumbs as you do so.

Once all the ingredients are well combined, transfer meat mixture to a rimmed baking sheet or roasting pan. Shape mixture into a loaf (approximately 9 inches long, 5 inches wide and 2 inches high).

Bake for about an hour, or until the meatloaf has an internal temperature in the 155 to 160F range. Remove from oven and let rest for 15 to 20 minutes before slicing. Serve with chili sauce on the side.

TO ROAST GARLIC: Set oven to 375F.
Cut the tip off a large garlic bulb, or 2 smaller ones, so that the tops of the cloves are exposed.
Pour about a teaspoon of olive over the top of the bulb(s).
Wrap and seal in aluminum foil. Roast until the garlic cloves are golden in color, about 50 to 60 minutes.
Remove from oven.
Once cool, squeeze the roasted garlic paste from the bulb(s) by squeezing the bulb from the root end towards the open tip.
Add roasted garlic paste to recipe as directed.

Admittedly, I am not a huge meatloaf fan but as far as meatloafs go this one was pretty good. Moist, good crust and not overly unhealthy as Bison is a great lean alternative to beef.

All in all, not bad!

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Sweet Sassy Pants said...

You almost lost me when you started talking about nine inches. I'm glad I stuck around, bc I looooove roasted garlic, though it does make the house stink. But I don't care, I'm more of a werewolf than vampire girl any day.

I haven't had meatloaf in years, and I'd probably tweak the recipe a bit (less carbs. single girls cannot be fat girls), but I'd like to try this and make it into meatballs or those trendy sliders!! Yum

4/24/12, 9:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

free web counter
hit me again